What is Testing as a Service?
Testing as a service (TaaS) is a model or tool for testing where the majority of the testing functions of a company are outsourced to a service provider (usually a software testing and quality assurance company) which specializes in testing services.
In this model, all the testing activities are not handled by the in-house employees. Rather, they are given to another firm. TaaS may also be implemented by hiring consultants to play an advisory role to the employees of the hiring organization.
Types of testing as a service
There are 3 main types of testing as a service (TaaS): Performance testing as a service, Functional testing as a service, Security testing as a service. Here are brief descriptions of what they entail:
1. Performance testing as a service: This specifically tests for how much load or stress a software application can manage before it begins to malfunction or lag. This is extremely important because, in most modern software applications, there are usually a huge amount of users trying to access the same service at once. This may lead to a lag in the performance of the application.
2. Functional testing as a service: This type of testing as a service typically involves putting the User Interface to the test, regression tests, integration tests, and even automated user acceptance testing (UAT).
3. Security testing as a service: As the name implies, this type of testing is dedicated to the security component of a software.
Some other types of testing as a service include Quality Assurance testing, Penetration Testing, Unit testing, Cloud testing, Application testing, Disaster recovery testing, Service-level agreement adherence testing (this is the process where a SaaS application is tested for its adherence to a particular agreement), and application testing.
Advantages of testing as a service (TaaS)
Here are some of the advantages of implementing testing as a service for your firm:
- One benefit of testing as a service is that companies don’t have to bear the cost of implementing the testing infrastructure themselves. This reduces the cost of executing the software application project drastically and drives up the company’s ROI.
- Pay-as-you-go pricing method: When the company performs all of its testing itself, it has to pay and subscribe for all of the resources that these tests require, even if they never use most of these services or don’t use them for an extended period. With testing as a service, the company can choose to pay only for what it uses and for how long they use it.
- Reduced time-to-market: Since all of the resources are hosted on the cloud when using testing as a service, the tools and programs are easy to access. This translates to a faster testing process and results in a reduction in the time-to-market.
- Reduced risk of bias in testing: With in-house testing, there is an increased risk of the testers being biased towards the prospects of the product due to sentimental attachments. Testing as a service (TaaS) provides objective and unbiased testing of the application since the testers are independent of the company requesting the service.
Now that you know the benefits of implementing testing as a service model, do not hesitate to reach out to us here for a free consultation or for further information. We are available to provide any quality business solutions you might require to scale your business!